26. How many typewritten pages of information are stored in 4G-byte memory?
About 1.000.000 typewritten pages.
29.How much memory is found in the DOS transient program area?
30. How much memory is found in the Windows system area?
31.The 8086 microprocessor addresses 1 M bytes of memory.
33.Which microprocessor 4G bytes of memory?
80386DX, 80486, Pentium, Pentium Over Drive.
34.Memory above the first 1M bite is called real memory.
43.A driver is stored in the transient program area.
45.What is the purpose of the BIOS?
The purpose of the BIOS is :
- set up the computer and interface it with the hardware
- control the basic I/O system
- to maintain compatibility from one computer system to another
- to access I/O devices and internal features of the computer system.
62.Convert the following binary numbers to the ones’s complement from :
a. 1000 1000
answer : 0111 0111
b. 0101 1010
answer : 1010 0101
c. 0111 0111
answer : 1000 1000
d. 1000 0000
answer : 0111 1111
65.Convert the following words into ASCII-coded character strings :
answer : 46 52 4F 47
answer : 41 72 63
answer : 57 61 74 65 72
answer : 57 65 6C 6C
66.What is the ASCII code for the Enter key and what is its purpose?
The ASCII code for the Enter key is
- Carriage Return code (CR)
The pupose of CR is to return the cursor or print head to the left margin.
- Line Feed code (LF)
The purpose of LF is to move the cursor down one line.
74.What is difference between the big endian and little endian formats for storing numbers that are larger than 8 bits in width?
The difference between the big endian and little endian formats is :
- In the big endien format, numbers are stored with the lowest location containing the most significant. The big endien format is used with the Motorola family of microprocessors.
- In the little endien format, the Least Significant Byte (LSB) of data is always stored in the lowest-numbered memory location, and the Most Significant Byte (MSB) of data is stored in the highest. The little endien format is used with the intel family of microprocessors.